Since I was a child I dreamed of my own landscaping business.
In Middle School I knocked on doors asking, “Do you want me to rake your leaves?”
In high school I mowed lawns by pulling a trailer behind my lime green 1977 Buick Skylark.
I’m the kid that stared out the window at school. When my father took me to the golf course I wanted to ride the fairway mower and weed the plantings. Not play golf.
I won a giant pumpkin growing contest at 12 and studied in the Vo-ag program in high school. I earned a bachelor’s degree in Horticulture from UCONN.
While my friends were studying to become lawyers and businessmen I wanted to grow plants. Talk about going against the grain!
I worked at a nursery after college where I felt like a square peg in a round hole. I didn’t want to do the status quo and “bang out” jobs. I wanted to create beauty and function. I wanted to do things better!
I’m told I’m artistic and it surprises me. The design decisions I make daily are reflexive, like getting dressed in the morning.
A design vision appears almost immediately when I walk on a clients property. The work lies in sorting out the important details.
Never take the details for granted.
When you’re ready to improve your landscape give me a call.
John W. Holden
Founder, Land Designs Unlimited LLC
Newtown CT Landscape Designer
9 Reasons to Choose Land Designs Unlimited LLC
- I’ve been in business over 22 years, starting in 1993.
- I earned a Degree in Ornamental Horticulture from the University of Connecticut. Go huskies!!!
- You get a detailed, written quote before work begins. Before a shovel touches the earth you’ll know:
- A detailed description of what your project entails.
- How long your project will take.
- The total investment for your project.
- All trees and shrubs have a one year guarantee.
- Staff is always in uniform.
- I’m on site helping to plan and carry out every job.
- Fully insured. Certificates of insurance available upon request.
- Landscape design and garden maintenance is our specialty. We don’t clean gutters, power wash houses and we definitely don’t do windows.
- We have specialized equipment to complete your project efficiently with minimum disturbance. I won’t bore you with details. You’re welcome to ask about our equipment and I’ll gladly tell you more than you want to know.
A Tip for Selecting a Landscape Designer
How can you tell whether a landscape designer or landscapers knows what they are doing?
Ask one simple question, “Why?”
When discussing your design ask, “Why?” When discussing plant selections ask, “Why?” When discussing the type of mulch to use ask, “Why?” Asking why repeatedly gets you a lot of information.
Do the answers to your questions come naturally and make sense? Does your prospective designer welcome a chance to discuss your project with you or are they put off?
Our CT landscape design and CT landscaping work is in Newtown, Trumbull, Shelton, Monroe, Oxford and Southbury.